Family Law / Divorce

Child custody modification order in Pennsylvania: when it’s possible and how to file for an order

For married couples negotiating a divorce settlement, creating a child custody arrangement can be among the largest complications. Ideally, both parents must compromise to come up with a strategy for custody based upon what’s perfect for the children involved. Nonetheless, this isn’t necessarily the situation.

Pennsylvania and New Jersey courts more frequently than not give joint physical and legal custody. Some couples may opt for a six-month break permitting the kid to reside with a single parent for six months and spend the rest of the year with another one. Other alternatives for custody arrangements consist of divided weekend/weekday arrangements. Parents should take holidays into account when creating a custody arrangement.

To get a joint custody arrangement to operate correctly, parents might have to reevaluate their own lives and their programs to optimize quality time with their kids. But, sometimes unexpected situations occur, which makes it hard to stick to the agreement after it’s in place. Parents in this scenario can request the court for a modification of the order.

Typical reasons to submit a modification of custody orders incorporate a new occupation, a layoff, or even a pay cut. An individual may also request a modification order predicated upon the prior spouse’s scenario, like advancement with a significant salary increase, or whether he or she believes the other partner is threatening the kid.

Occasionally ex-spouses may verbally upgrade the arrangement and change days a child spends with a parent, like vacations or weekends. But, there’s not anything to prevent another party from changing his or her thoughts. To make certain that any desirable changes are enforced, parents are advised to request a modification order.

Appeals must be filed with the court that granted the original order. This court has “continuing jurisdiction” which lets it to supervise the orders and make any necessary changes. The court will schedule an appointment with both parents and their lawyers.

When an agreement isn’t reached between both parties another hearing is going to be scheduled.

Pennsylvania courts also need parents submitting a modification to get custody to attend a court-approved parenting plan.

To find out more about modification requests or how to submit a request, get in touch with a family law attorney.

Leave a Reply